Building a Nutritionist Assistant BOT with NUWE

chatbot
machinelearning
nlp
ios
objectivec

Every Christmas for the past 5 or 6 years, I like to set myself a little challenge.

Of particular note… I built my first startup, Fidgetstick (2010), my second startup Braindu (2012), I built the first version of our Nutribu app (2013), and this year, I wanted to do something even more fun and challenging!

I wanted to bring intelligence and a personalised experience into one of our app projects, in the form of a chat BOT, and really put the NUWE platform and associated micro-services to the test.

So, I built…

KATE - a virtual nutritionist assistant.

###Why Kate?

The name “Kate” has been with us on our journey in building nutrition apps since the beginning. Firstly, our nutritionist consultant, one very experienced and talented Kate Cook, was the backbone of our original nutrition expertise.

Second, with the launch of Nutribu iOS v1, our female persona was called “Kate” (versus her male counterpart, Will).

So, Kate stuck around.

###Why “Nutritionist Assistant”?

I could have come over all hyperbolic, with a title like “Virtual Nutritionist” or something like that. But in my experience, and it appears the common public experience, is that chat-bots, whilst being on something of a hot streak right now, suffer from a mismatch between the promise and the reality.

Whilst professing the disruption of human jobs, replacing doctors and nurses and nutritionists and personal trainers and all manner of jobs may get some twitter buzz or techcrunch articles firing, it’s not really doing anything to move us forward as a tool or technology.

So, for me at least, the key here is that with intelligent technology, our role is think about ways we can make humans better. For me, this means playing to our strengths as humans and machines.

My Kate-BOT would be able to calculate within a blink of an eye, the nutritional intake across key micro or macro-nutrients for a whole year, or detect the presence of a potential allergen in something I’m about to eat. My real-world nutritionist wouldn’t have even reached the phone, let alone decided whether to take my call by that point.

But, my Kate-BOT will inevitably struggle to provide holistic and personalised recommendations and plans for me to follow in order to achieve my goals, not those of an overly generalised population, as well as reacting to, empathising with my emotional, behavioural and psychological biases.

###Kate for iOS

So now we decided what, we need to consider HOW?

My “simple” plan was to achieve a few things:

1. A real-time Chat user interface for native iOS (it would be embedded into our Nutribu v2 app, currently in development).
  2. The ability to parse and infer Intent, within a given Context from natural language input, not just dumb regex string matching.
  3. Reacting to intent & context with intelligent responses & managing controlled Flows (e.g. an onboarding process)

##Chat UI

I didn’t really want to build a chat interface from scratch, I figured, as such a popular design pattern and mobile feature, there must be an existing control, framework or open source project I could use…

In the end, I settled on a pretty full-fledged option.

I used a really nice project by RelatedCode which wires up some additional external 3rd party libraries to Parse and Firebase for a very full-featured Chat interface, with custom message types and the option for some premium features too, which I didn’t use yet.

This project is dependent on some additional libraries, such as:

Jesse Squire’s JSQMessagesViewController
Ideaismobile’s IDMPhotoBrowser
Jess Squire’s JSQSystemSoundPlayer
RelatedCode’s ProgressHUD
Ryan Nystrom’s RNGridMenu
Olivier Poitrey’s SDWebImage

There was quite a bit of work to extract what I needed from the project to put into the Nutribu app and generally work out my way around the structure of the various classes. But once I did that and resolved any issues, I was successfully able to call the UI when a user long presses on the main button on the Nutribu main page.

We did have to add and initialise some new back end service, in addition to the existing Nuwe services already in place. This is pretty straightforward to do, but I had one initial design challenge - how to successfully map our existing NUUser to our PFUser, needed for the Parse integration.

For now, to keep it simple, I settled on a background call on login to the app to login the user to Parse with a random password and their NUUser email as username.

In our main view (called StatusView) we create these 2 methods:

- (void) signInWithParseUser:(NSString *)username withEmail:(NSString *)email andPassword:(NSString *)password {
    [PFUser logInWithUsernameInBackground:email password:password
                                    block:^(PFUser *user, NSError *error) {
                                        if (user) {
                                            // Do stuff after successful login.
                                            NSLog(@"Logged in successfully with Parse as: %@", user.email);
                                        } else {
                                            // The login failed. Check error to see why.
                                            NSLog(@"Logged in failed with error: %@", error.description);
                                        }
                                    }];
}
- (void) registerParseUser:(NSString *)username withEmail:(NSString *)email andPassword:(NSString *)password {
    PFUser *user = [PFUser user];
    user.username = username;
    user.password = password;
    user.email = email;
    user[@"fullname"] = username;

[user signUpInBackgroundWithBlock:^(BOOL succeeded, NSError *error) {
        if (!error) {

NSLog(@"Logged in successfully with Parse as: %@", user.email);

} else {   NSString *errorString = [error userInfo][@"error"];   // Show the errorString somewhere and let the user try again.
            NSLog(@"error: %@", errorString);

[self signInWithParseUser:username withEmail:email andPassword:password];
        }
    }];
}

And then called from viewDidLoad:

if ([NUCore getCurrentUser] == nil) {
        return;
    }
    if ([PFUser currentUser] == nil ) {
        [self registerParseUser:[NUCore getCurrentUser].email withEmail:[NUCore getCurrentUser].email andPassword:[self randomPassword];
    }

This is good enough for now to ensure we have a dedicated data store for our Users, Sessions & Push notifications.

Setting up the Firebase service was very easy, as everything is already there in the project code.

In the Chat project there is a constants header file, AppConstant.h where you’ll need to drop your Firebase app URL

#define		FIREBASE							@"https://YOUR_CHAT_APP.firebaseio.com"

I can already see how a nicely constructed framework / library with all of this stuff pre-configured and tighter communication between NUWE and PARSE SDK’s would work a treat. For later…

Finally, to call the chat feature, I added a long press gesture onto the existing EatButton.

- (void)eatLongPress:(UILongPressGestureRecognizer*)gesture {
    if ( gesture.state == UIGestureRecognizerStateEnded ) {

[self.eatButton setBackgroundImage:[UIImage imageNamed:@"btn_round_orange.png"] forState:UIControlStateNormal];
        self.eatButton.imageView.image = [UIImage imageNamed:@"microphone-512.png"];

NSString *systemId = NU_AI_USER_SYSTEM_ID;
        NSString *groupId = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"%@%@", systemId, [PFUser currentUser].objectId];
        [self goToChat:groupId];
    }
}
- (void) goToChat:(NSString *)groupId {
    ChatView *chatView = [[ChatView alloc] initWith:groupId];
    [chatView setTitle:@"Kate"];
    chatView.hidesBottomBarWhenPushed = YES;
    UINavigationController *navController = [[UINavigationController alloc] initWithRootViewController:chatView];

navController.modalTransitionStyle = UIModalTransitionStyleCoverVertical;
    [navController.navigationBar setBarTintColor:[UIColor colorWithRed:0.0/255.0 green:158.0/255.0 blue:118.0/255.0 alpha:1.0]];
    [navController.navigationBar setTitleTextAttributes:
     @{NSForegroundColorAttributeName:[UIColor whiteColor]}];

[self presentViewController:navController animated:YES completion:^{
        NSLog(@"Showing Chat View");
    }];
}

The Birth of the BOT

So this gets us a working Chat feature, without reinventing all the wheels and engine and windscreen. But there’s no sign of any intelligent life on the other side…

I decided to start with a brand new empty shell of an Objective C class that would be my prototype representation of KATE. It’s called NUAIUser.

We want our NUAIUser to be treated, by the system at least, just like a real user. This way, she has access to all the same message APIs as our current logged in user and we can extend them with new custom message types and actions to suit. She can also exist in group conversations, because we treat her just like other remote users, except we’ll control her initially from within our app’s logic.

For this to work, our NUAIUser will need to exist in Parse, as if a regular user so we’ll add her as a row in the Parse Users table. This will give her an ObjectID that we can use, for instance, if we want to send remote messages as Kate.

I decided to use a singleton pattern for our NUAIUser, since I only want one instance of this class running in the app. The NUAIUser could take on different characteristics with a more evolved API, but for now at least, I want to ensure I’m just dealing with one KATE-BOT instance.

You can see from the method above, that when I load the Chat UI, I am doing so by passing it a groupId. The groupId is for Firebase to ensure it loads the conversation between 2 parties, in this case, Kate and our current User.

The groupId format takes a unique Id for each of these as a string. I have declared the unique id for Kate in a constants header file, equal to her objectId from the Parse data store.

Our current user’s objectID can be retrieved using the Parse SDK currentUser helper method for PFUser.

So long as these two Id’s don’t change, the user will always be taken to the chat room with conversation history between themselves and Kate.

The primary role of the NUAIUser class will be to handle responses to User inputs and to proactively lead a process through more complete methods, that I’ll start by creating here before I outgrow it.

In order to give our NUAIUser, from now on referred to as Kate, the ability to do stuff, we need to hook it up to the Chat View. In this case, the Chat View is our NUAIUser’s parent.

In NUAIUser.h

@interface NUAIUser : NSObject {
    NSString *name;
    id parentViewController;
    UIView *messageView;
}

@property (nonatomic, retain) NSString *name;

+ (id)sharedNUAIUser;

- (id)initWithParentViewController:(UIViewController *) viewController;

NUAIUser.m

- (id)initWithParentViewController:(id) viewController {
    if (self = [super init]) {

parentViewController = viewController;
        name = @"Kate";

}
    return self;
}

Kate now has access to the API of our ChatView, so we can start by sending a simple message.

There is an existing method

- (void)messageSend:(NSString *)text Video:(NSURL *)video Picture:(UIImage *)picture Audio:(NSString *)audio

that looks useful, but it misses the ability to specify the user as Kate. We’ll use it as a template though to create a method for create to fire out messages as she likes…

- (void) AIUserMessageSend:(NSString *)text Video:(NSURL *)video Picture:(UIImage *)picture Audio:(NSString *)audio User:(NSString *)systemId Name:(NSString *)systemName
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
{
    Outgoing *outgoing = [[Outgoing alloc] initWith:groupId View:self.navigationController.view];
    [outgoing send:text Video:video Picture:picture Audio:audio User:NU_AI_USER_SYSTEM_ID Name:NU_AI_USER_NAME];

//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [JSQSystemSoundPlayer jsq_playMessageSentSound];
    [self finishSendingMessage];
}

We’ve added two additional parameters that we can specify, the User’s ID and her Name. This makes the method flexible so we can use it for other things, but for now, this is ok.

We also need to adapt the Outgoing message class to use this information.

I’ll add a new method to assist…

The default method assumes that send: is being sent by the currentUser. I need to override that, to send it as Kate.

So, instead of:

- (void)send:(NSString *)text Video:(NSURL *)video Picture:(UIImage *)picture Audio:(NSString *)audio
//-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
{
	NSMutableDictionary *item = [[NSMutableDictionary alloc] init];
	//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	item[@"userId"] = [PFUser currentId];
	item[@"name"] = [PFUser currentName];
	item[@"date"] = Date2String([NSDate date]);
	item[@"status"] = TEXT_DELIVERED;
	item[@"video"] = item[@"thumbnail"] = item[@"picture"] = item[@"audio"] = item[@"latitude"] = item[@"longitude"] = @"";
	item[@"video_duration"] = item[@"audio_duration"] = @0;
	item[@"picture_width"] = item[@"picture_height"] = @0;
	if (text != nil) [self sendTextMessage:item Text:text];
	else if (video != nil) [self sendVideoMessage:item Video:video];
	else if (picture != nil) [self sendPictureMessage:item Picture:picture];
	else if (audio != nil) [self sendAudioMessage:item Audio:audio];
	else [self sendLoactionMessage:item];
}

We have:

- (void)send:(NSString *)text Video:(NSURL *)video Picture:(UIImage *)picture Audio:(NSString *)audio User:(NSString *)systemId Name:(NSString *)systemName
{
    NSMutableDictionary *item = [[NSMutableDictionary alloc] init];
    item[@"userId"] = systemId;
    item[@"name"] = systemName;
    item[@"date"] = Date2String([NSDate date]);
    item[@"status"] = TEXT_DELIVERED;
    NSLog(@"Message delivered: %@", text);
    item[@"video"] = item[@"thumbnail"] = item[@"picture"] = item[@"audio"] = item[@"latitude"] = item[@"longitude"] = @"";
    item[@"video_duration"] = item[@"audio_duration"] = @0;
    item[@"picture_width"] = item[@"picture_height"] = @0;
    if (text != nil) [self sendTextMessage:item Text:text];
    else if (video != nil) [self sendVideoMessage:item Video:video];
    else if (picture != nil) [self sendPictureMessage:item Picture:picture];
    else if (audio != nil) [self sendAudioMessage:item Audio:audio];
    else [self sendLoactionMessage:item];
}

So now if we circle back to Kate’s Class, we can simply call:

[parentViewController AIUserMessageSend:[NSString stringWithFormat:@"Hello, I'm happy to be here!"]
                                              Video:nil Picture:nil Audio:nil User:NU_AI_USER_SYSTEM_ID Name:NU_AI_USER_NAME];

To send a text message and render it into the Chat UI. YEAH!

I’m now going to grab a :coffee: and when I get back, we’ll give Kate some mild intelligence :smile:

Adding Intelligence - Wit.ai

Wit.ai is a tool for using machine learning to parse text and audio natural language and do stuff with it, particularly after working out the User’s intent.

I’ve written about using this tool a few times before, so I’m not going to do boring stuff like how to set it up, install it etc. I encourage you to check out this article.

Right now, we have Kate and her ability to send messages willy nilly.

So, first, we need Kate to be able to have an ability to understand the intent of the User, when they say something and to react accordingly.

For this, we’ll use Wit in our iOS app as well as manage via the Wit platform, our intents, contexts, entities and all that goodness.

So, after having setup and configured the Wit library in our app, initialised it in AppDelegate.m etc. etc. we can start using it.

Working with Messages

Essentially the flow I’m looking for, is that with any message sent by the User, I want to pass this through the Wit system and get some result about what the heck they’re on about. That would look like this:

firstOutcome: {
    "_text" = "Hello Kate";
    confidence = "0.898";
    entities =     {
        NUAIUser =         (
                        {
                type = value;
                value = kate;
            }
        );
        "time_of_day" =         (
                        {
                suggested = 1;
                type = value;
                value = Hello;
            }
        );
    };
    intent = NUGreeting;
}

You can see in this example, from my user input text “Hello Kate”, Kate is pretty sure that my intention is to greet her - defined by my NUGreeting intent.

I’ve also got some entities in here, information that Kate can use when deciding how to react.

For instance, the entity NUAIUser returns a value of Kate, which means that in my greeting, Kate was named and therefore, it might by nice and ultimately more human to also name the User in response:

“Hello, Steve”, says Kate.

There is also a time_of_day entity. Now in this case, there’s nothing descriptive here, but I could have said

“Good morning Kate”

In which case, this object would have looked like:

firstOutcome: {
    "_text" = "Good morning kate";
    confidence = "0.897";
    entities =     {
        NUAIUser =         (
                        {
                type = value;
                value = kate;
            }
        );
        "time_of_day" =         (
                        {
                type = value;
                value = morning;
            }
        );
    };
    intent = NUGreeting;
}

I could use the time_of_day value to respond accordingly

“Good Morning, Steve”, says Kate

So we’ve started thinking about structuring our Wit response and training Wit to consider different entities that we can use to make our responses more considered and ultimately, more human and personal.

To enable this in our iOS app, we need a few methods added and to adjust some of the existing ChatView methods…

After adding the Wit/Wit.h library to our ChatView and ensuring it conforms to WitDelegate protocol.

Add this method:

#pragma mark - WIT Methods

- (void)sendMessageToWit:(NSString *)text {
    NSMutableDictionary *dictionary = [[NSMutableDictionary alloc] init];
    [dictionary setObject:_currentContextState forKey:@"state"];
    NSLog(@"Current context: %@", [[Wit sharedInstance] getContext]);
    [[Wit sharedInstance] setContext:dictionary];

NSLog(@"Current context: %@", [[Wit sharedInstance] getContext]);
    [[Wit sharedInstance] interpretString:text customData:nil];
}

Then we’ll add a call to this method in here:

- (void)messageSend:(NSString *)text Video:(NSURL *)video Picture:(UIImage *)picture Audio:(NSString *)audio

{
	Outgoing *outgoing = [[Outgoing alloc] initWith:groupId View:self.navigationController.view];
	[outgoing send:text Video:video Picture:picture Audio:audio];

// Call WIT
    [self sendMessageToWit:text];

[JSQSystemSoundPlayer jsq_playMessageSentSound];
	[self finishSendingMessage];
}

This sends our message and additional information (we’ll discuss Context a bit later) to Wit and we expect a response like above. But it’s not quite that simple. We fire off these messages to Wit, but we need the Wit delegate to inform us when we get a response and to parse it for the stuff we need.

#pragma mark - WIT Delegate Methods

- (void)witDidGraspIntent:(NSArray *)outcomes messageId:(NSString *)messageId customData:(id) customData error:(NSError*)e {
    if (e) {
        NSLog(@"[Wit] error: %@", [e localizedDescription]);
        return;
    }

self.showTypingIndicator = YES;
    [self scrollToBottomAnimated:YES];

NSDictionary *firstOutcome = [outcomes objectAtIndex:0];
    NSDictionary *entities = [firstOutcome objectForKey:@"entities"];
    NSDictionary *context = [firstOutcome objectForKey:@"context"];
    NSDictionary *state = [context objectForKey:@"state"];
    NSString *intent = [firstOutcome objectForKey:@"intent"];

NSLog(@"firstOutcome: %@", firstOutcome);
    NSLog(@"intent = %@", intent);
    NSLog(@"context = %@", context);
    NSLog(@"state = %@", state);

NSString *response = [_aiUser respondToIntent:intent withEntities:entities];
    Outgoing *outgoing = [[Outgoing alloc] initWith:groupId View:self.collectionView];

if ([response isEqualToString:@""]) {
        NSLog(@"No response message from Kate");
    } else {

dispatch_after(dispatch_time(DISPATCH_TIME_NOW, (int64_t)(1.0 * NSEC_PER_SEC)), dispatch_get_main_queue(), ^{
            [outgoing send:response Video:nil Picture:nil Audio:nil User:NU_AI_USER_SYSTEM_ID Name:NU_AI_USER_NAME];
            self.showTypingIndicator = NO;
        });

}

}

What’s going on here? I’ll tell you…

First, we freak out and abort if we get an error. That being said and done, assuming we get a successful response, we tell our Chat UI to start the typing indicator thing. It’s a nice way to give the user the feeling that some real hard consideration is being put into the impending message.

The response from Wit gives us an array of outcomes. We are mostly concerned with the first (and most likely, statistically speaking) outcome, so we store that in our firstOutcome dictionary.

After that, we’re extracting the useful information, like the entities, context, state and intent.

With that information in hand, we’ll pass it to Kate and tell her to respond, arming her with all she needs to make a smart decision. She’ll then return the message to be sent back to the user via an Outgoing message.

If that message is empty, we abort and log it in the console (for now).

If it’s not, we fire off a message on a background thread as Kate and we stop the typing indicator, because our work is done.

Handling Responses

So earlier, we gave Kate the info from the User, asked her to think about the best response, give that back to us and we sent the message.

Let’s see how Kate handles that… in NUAIUser.h

- (NSString *) respondToIntent:(NSString *)intent withEntities:(NSDictionary *)entities

in NUAIUser.m

#pragma mark - WIT Responses

- (NSString *) respondToIntent:(NSString *)intent withEntities:(NSDictionary *)entities {

NUUser *info = [NUCore getCurrentUser];

NSString *message = @"";

// --------------------- GREETING RESPONSES ---------------------------- //

if ([intent isEqualToString:NU_GREETING_INTENT]) {
        if ([[[entities valueForKeyPath:@"time_of_day.value"] firstObject] isEqualToString:@"morning"]) {
            message = @"Good morning";
        } else if ([[[entities valueForKeyPath:@"time_of_day.value"] firstObject] isEqualToString:@"afternoon"]) {
            message = @"Good afternoon";
        } else if ([[[entities valueForKeyPath:@"time_of_day.value"] firstObject] isEqualToString:@"evening"]) {
            message = @"Good evening";
        } else {
            message = @"Hello";
        }
    }

return message;
}

Here’s an example of how Kate will consider responding to you, based on the Intent and the Entity information we passed her.

So, the first check qualifies if the User’s intent is to indeed, greet Kate.

Assuming that’s the case, Kate then considers the entities, if any. If the Time of day given is morning, for example, then Kate will reply in kind.

If the User greeting is non-time specific, like a “Yo”, or “Hi”, then Kate will simply respond “Hello” (until she develops a broader vocabulary for even the simplest of interactions… more on that to come).

For the sake of this prototype, we’ll build up a number of these Intents with which we will decide on the appropriate responses based on the given Entities - gradually we’ll tackle some much more complicated interactions, like accessing data sources, loading other UI’s, and we’ll construct much deeper multi-layered conversation flows.

Working With Context

At any given point we’re operating in a particular Context of conversation.

You might say, that while the Intent in the example above is to greet Kate, the Context could be a “Welcome” or “New User” or some other descriptive way of defining more about the current situation.

We can use Context broadly or very granularly, particularly when asking questions of the User.

For example, if Kate was to ask a question, such as “Are you well?”. You may answer “Yes”, “No” or some other variant.

If Kate was to ask you “Did you eat more than 100g of red meat today?”. You may answer “Yes”, “No” or some other variant.

How on earth does Kate know the difference in one Yes answer to the other? By controlling Context.

In our app, before we send the message from Kate to the User, we would define the current context.

So, in NUAIUser.m, we pay particular attention to ensure questions are asked within the correct context.

[parentViewController setCurrentContextState:@"userWellCheck"];
[parentViewController AIUserMessageSend:[NSString stringWithFormat:@"Are you well?"]
                                              Video:nil Picture:nil Audio:nil User:NU_AI_USER_SYSTEM_ID Name:NU_AI_USER_NAME];

and so, when user responds “YES” (or some variant of), and Kate needs to decide how to respond to the answer

if ([intent isEqualToString:@"answer_yes"] && [[[[Wit sharedInstance] getContext] objectForKey:@"state"] isEqualToString:@"userWellCheck"]) {
        message = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"Glad to hear it, %@", info.firstname];
}