Accessible 3D Motion Technology

mobilehealth
digitalhealth
computervision

We’ve all been blown away by the likes of augmented reality experiences, such as those provided by the Oculus or Meta teams, or even the rich gaming experience of the Kinect.

But what these all have in common, is a degree of exclusivity. You either need a special device which is pretty costly, or a special device with other system dependencies, such as the Xbox. Either way, it means not everyone can benefit from these experiences.

I’ve been quite interested recently in how we can make these technologies more accessible, to the masses and have been turning my mind to all sorts of use cases.

But first, the technology. How can we provide similar experiences those of the Oculus or the Xbox Kinect, but using standard and readily available technologies.

I happened across one very interesting option, at the Mobile World Congress 4YFN event, where I met Gaspard Chevallier from Extreme Reality.

Extreme Reality provides an engine that uses 2D motion control technology, taking video feed from a standard webcam, and creating real time movement recognition and motion control.

With SDK’s for iOS, Android, Windows and Unity, it’s a breeze to start incorporating these types of experiences into applications.

Extreme Reality themselves demonstrate some powerful use cases of this technology, particularly for the health context. In this video, we can see how the general software solution can bring gaming and fitness to life

A couple of years ago, at CES, Extreme Reality showcased how a tennis game could be played with pure motion control - without the need for controllers or additional devices.

So, naturally, the mind starts to wonder about various other use cases. You could easily apply the same principles to other sports games, like Golf, Baseball or Cricket.

But indeed there are other categories where this could be a lot of fun. For instance, martial arts.

To be able to tap into technique, physical performance, challenges and gamifying exercises.

Recently, the guys at http://www.taichitempleapp.com/ released an iOS application, called Tai Chi Temple. In it, you can follow a Tai Chi Master, Master Li JianLong, through the phases of learning the various Tai Chi moves and sequences, accompanied by a real-time assessment of your performance based on the motion control and visual analysis.

I encourage you to take download the app, it only costs a couple of $ and start imagining what you could create with this technology. I’m going to be experimenting with it a fair amount, and will keep you posted on how I get on.

Fuelr - real-time video training sessions with a real trainer